...the Elevated Record

Blog from the Hill


July 31, 20/20

Happy Harry Potter Day!

Today, I went to the grocery store to replenish our food supplies. I had forgotten, though, to stop at the drugstore to buy a replacement for our defunct thermometer, nor at the gas station to refuel the car.

After lunch, then, I drove out to the drugstore, bought a thermometer (Thernonthemer, in Dad-speak), then to Starbucks to redeem a Reward and buy two cups of coffee for the price of one, then to Sams gas station to refuel Yoda. It had been three weeks since his last refueling, after all.

Then last night, there was a tremendous thunder storm, so since the lightning was quite remote, I sat out on the porch to capture a video. It was dark, and I enjoyed the ability to occasionally see parts of the neighborhood lighten. At the end of the video there was a brilliant flash of lightning, followed about a second later by a huge roar of thunder and me saying, "That was close!" According to the rule of thumb (Count the seconds and divide by five and that's the number of miles away the lightning was), that would make it about 1/5 of a mile, or around 1000 feet. Too close for comfort, so I went inside.

July 30, 20/20

First thing this morning, we drove to Starbucks, the store that has been closed for the past two weeks, and were surprised and pleased to find it had reopened. There was a sign in the drive-thru that apologized for being slow and explained they were short-handed. Well, I don't know how short their hands are, but it didn't take any longer than it did before the Great Isolation began. Becky had a Reward on her card, which paid for one of our drinks. The Reward would have expired, had we waited for Saturday to use it. I also have a Reward on my card, and it is nowhere near its expiration date, so "The next round is one me!"

We were invited to dinner at Suzanne's again today. She made some Peanut Butter Chicken (a la Chinese), Roasted Coconut Shrimp and Garlic Butter Shrimp. It was a tremendously good mean, and of course I overate. We felt we had to leave shortly after the meal was over, because I was experiencing an odd sensation that I can only describe as lightning strikes at the base of my skull. No, there was no stinging insect repeatedly stabbing me - I would have recognized that from my first yellowjacket attack, years ago. I can rule out food-related because, well, food just doesn't present that way. At any rate, before I got home the sensation had become completely insensate.

I stopped at the auto parts store to purchase some windshield wiper blades for the car, since mine were streaking badly. As usual, these days, it takes two different lengths: 24" for the left side and 20" for the right. I guess they want to give the driver a better field of vision. If so, though, why does the driver's side wiper block the spray from the windshield washer? Hmm? I don't know, either, unless the cowl has somehow been bent causing that blockage. I shall have to research that possibility.

July 29, 20/20

Laundry Day!

I realize that I haven't been marking Ropeyarn Wednesdays, as I had in the past, so I figured I'd do it now. (Whoopie!).

This was the last Wednesday without a priest reading Compline in the evening. Last Wednesday and today, two lay leaders read (as I do on Mondays). Next Wednesday, though, I expect our new Rector, Milly, to be the Officiant. I am looking forward to "meeting" her and welcoming her to the helm of her Parish.

July 28, 20/20

Rest in Peace, Carolyn Smith.

We read on facebook that our friend, Carolyn, died this morning of a suspected heart attack. She has been suffering Sundowner Syndrome most of the year, which may have been brought on by "the virus" (we don't know for sure she had it, though). Sundowner Syndrome is a form of dimentia wherein the sufferer is lucid during the days, but worsens toward evenings. Her husband, Pete, and I have been fast friends since we met, since we are both computer geeks (him more than me). That was shortly after I strted using the Linux operating system. He's about 10 years my senior, and I wish I had his clarity of mind!

July 27, 20/20

Becky was still a little achy from her weekend malady, so she called Allergy Partners to cancel her appointment for a follow-up with the doctor. Then she called Sisters of Mercy to chat with a doctor (over the computer) about her maybe needing a test for Covid-19. He asked questions about how she felt, and since she did not have a fever or difficulty breathing, he recomended not having the test. Naturally, if she started having symptoms she should call back.

I went to the store to replenish our supply of frozen meals, something that even I can prepare. While I was there, I picked up some Starbucks coffees for each of us. Becky not has one free cuppa coming, and so do I, but hers are due to expire soon, and the "Real" Starbucks (where we can redeem the rewards) is closed again, temporarily, they might go away before we can cash them in. Of course, we could drive to East or South Asheville stores to redeem them, but who even knows it those stores are open?

July 26, 20/20

This morning, Becky and I were scheduled to read the lessons at church. Becky has been sneezing and blowing her nose almost non-stop since yesterday morning, so she opted not to go. Which meant, of course, that I would be reading OT, Psalm and NT (she was supposed to read NT). Since the service is live-streamed on YouTube, she "Remote-Attended" the service, and when I returned home, instead of "Hi," she said "You did good". The last time we read in church (which is less than once a month, anyway), I was shocked to review the video and see how old I looked/sounded. Today I sounded much more like my youthful selt, but I was amazed to see how long my hair has gotten in the back. (Strange, it doesn't get long on top, though).

For supper, I decided to take the easy way out and make some frozen, gluten free Mac 'n' Cheese in the microwave, then just to be a little more complex I added schnitzled hot dogs to it. That worked pretty well.

July 25, 20/20

Nothing to do today but try to transcribe the Harry Potter audio chapters into MP3 files to be recorded onto a CD or two for the car. I got through the 7th chapter before I found that the microphone was live, though I had selected to only record from the line! Now I get to start over if (and only if) I can find a different way of doing it.

This afternoon, we had a good soaking from a thunderstorm. It's about time we got a decent rainfall. Of course, that would mean that I have to mow the grass sooner than if it hadn't rained for a few more weeks. Well, we can't have everything.

July 24, 20/20

Today, we were again invited up to Suzanne's for dinner, which invitation we accepted happily. We had wonderfully prepared Salmon Steaks, Gluten-Free Penne w/Alfredo Sauce and French-cut Green Beans w/Bacon, and for dessert, GF Chocolate Torte (which I called Chocolate Torture, because if its overly rich quality). 

When we returned home, Becky got a call from her sister, Melinda, who reported that her son Karl's Covid-19 test came back Negative, but his wife, Melissa, was found to have the virus. So, the virus coupled with pneumonia casts a dark shadow on her future, at least in my mind. Meanwhile, it might be a good idea for Karl to get a follow-up test to be sure his was not a false negative.

I finally learned how to record the Harry Potter readings that were promulgated by "Harry Potter at Home". I had tried to download them as though they were on YouTube, which works with some websites, but apparently this one has locked YouTube-dl out. However, I'm able to record them in real time using Audacity. I have to adjust the speed of playback in the end, but it works. I will be able to record them on CD (one or more) so that we can play them as we drive.

July 23, 20/20

Happy LunaVersary!

I had proposed bying a carry-out lunch in honor of the day, and had suggested TGI Friday's, but when I tried to log into my Rewards App, I had no luck remembering the password. So instead, I got on my computer and placed an order for two meals from Chipotle. We've only ordered from there once before, and it was pretty good. I ordered a salad with Brown Rice, Carnitas, Pinto Beans and Guacamole for Becky, then White Rice, Carnitas and Pintos for me. I drove down to pick it up (the restaurant is right next to the closed Starbucks store), and sure enough, the meals were bagged and on the top shelf of the Pick-Up Rack, so I was in and out very quickly. We each got two meals out of the purchase, so $5 per meal. As they say in Brazil, "Não é tão ruim," No it too bad.

July 22, 20/20

I drove to our favorite Starbucks store, about 4 miles from home, and found it to be "Closed Temporarily," so I drove back to the grocery store, our second favorite Starbucks depot, loaded up with Klondike Bars, some "Rye Style" gluten free bread (made by Three Bakers) and as I rang them up at the self-check, I realized i had left my billfold at home. So I called the Self-Check Monitor over, explained that I'd have to go home and get my billfold, so she said she would keep my purchase at her station until I returned. I drove home, called Becky on the way and explained my plight to her. She met me on the street with my billfold, so I barely had to stop. I continued to the top of the hill and turned around, waving "Bye-Bye, I love you" to her in ASL, then high-tailed it back to the store. I redeemed my purchase, then bought two more cups of coffee at Starbucks and returned home.

Becky made Oven-Fried potato wafers (too thick to be called chips) and "Deconstructed Hot Dogs (Julienned) for supper. 

Our Compline officiant for the evening had not been in that position before, and it showed in his nervousness. His rookie status not withstanding, he did a fine job. He and one other person are on the Substitute list in case one of the regulars cannot do it for some reason.

July 21, 20/20

I took Becky to Allergy Partners to get her shots, then we went shopping for food. Becky was "...just going to get potatoes..." so I went to collect some Amy's Gluten Free meals. When I could not find Becky anywhere in the store, i went through the checkout, then to Starbucks to get our drinks as we had intended. Then I saw Becky with a basket of potatoes, onions and bottles of coffee creamer. No wonder I hadn't found her! So she took her find through the checkout, while I took our drinks out to the car and put my purchase into the trunk. I rolled the windows down and waited just a few minutes for Becky to come out, popped the trunk latch for her to put her purchase there, too, and then we returned to home.

It was when we got home from the store that we found that Starbucks was running a special. If I were to purchase two drinks between the 21st and the 27th of July, I would be awarded 50 points. Well, I had already made such a purchase today, but I figured if I had six more days, I'd go ahead and sign up.

Melinda called and reported that she needed a pain shot for her hips and back, because the medication the doctor had prescribed for her was not working. But her son, Karl, could not take her, because he had taken his wife, Melissa, to get a Covid-19 test, and of course one for himself as well. Melissa was diagnosed with Pneumonia and given medications to compat that while waiting for the results from the C-19 tests. Meanwhile, both of them are quarantined for two weeks and cannot take Melinda anywhere. Karl's friend, Ali, who has adopted Melinda as his second mother, also could not take her anywhere, because he and Karl have been working together, and therefore his health is also suspect for a fortnight.

That night, though we were to have Compline every evening at 8pm, the Officient appointed did not show up to lead it. I Officiated compline for us, then, not wanting to do without the prayers and blessings thereof.

July 20, 20/20

Becky and I did our third stint reading Compline for Grace Church, tonight. https://www.facebook.com/240153036007277/videos/303858367408894. We will be doing it each Monday for the foreseeable future. I hope our new Rector lets the daily Compline continue. It's a fun 15-minutes of liturgical "Call and Response" and prayers. It's a little like hosting our own little radio show

I had said at the start of the Live Video (above) that two family members found it necessary to get tested for Covid-19, having developed symptoms that are associated with it. Since then, we have learned that my son, David, tested NEGATIVE, so he passed the test. We have also learned that the other family member, Melissa, while the test results aren't back, has been diagnosed with pneumonia, so she will not be returning to work any time soon, anyway.

Meanwhile, Becky and I are still healthy. We cough a lot, and we have for at least 30 years, now. We both feel achy at times, attributed directly to arthritis. Sometimes I awaken with nausia, but only if I have a snack too soon before going to bed. Yup, we're OK.

July 19, 20/20

Fair Winds and Following Seas, Fr. Gary!

Today was Fr. Gary Butterworth's final Sunday as Interim Priest at Grace Episcopal Church. His sermon was not one of his typical ones, but was a farewell address to the Parish. When all was said and done, there was a brief presentation by the ex-Senior Warden and his successor, in which they presented to Gary a "Gift Certificate" (cash, that is) said how much they had enjoyed his service and friendship, after which we sang the Navy Hymn (Eternal Father Strong to Save). Since Gary is retired from the US Navy, he appreciated the recognition.

No rain, today, though there was quite a thunder storm around Hendersonville. I had sat outside waiting for the rain, but it didn't come to our hill. Maybe tomorrow, for sure.

July 18, 20/20

Aside from a brief thunder storm this afternoon, we did our usual watching of the morning news, then whatever it is we do at the computers, then reading, then I found a program on YouTube about how fireworks are made, and so forth. It was a lecture by a Brittish fellow, given to young children and their parents. I found it fascinating. Then after we attended (watched) Compline on facebook, we came back to the computers and listened to music from Minnesota Classical Public Radio until, that is, they started giving tornado warnings every five minutes, after which I changed stations to Iowa Classical Public Radio, found an opera in full vibrato, so changed again to RTÉ (Raidío Téilifis Éirenach) Radio Television of Ireland. That's about it.

July 17, 20/20

Happy Peter Schickele Day!

Today is Peter Schickele's 80th birthday! There was a program on YouTube with his music and some by his alter-ego, PDQ Bach. When that program was finished, I searched for PDQ Bach, and we watched another four hours of hilarity before giving up. He spoke in the program as he sat upon what can only be described as a throne. He said that at 80 years of age - and he was interrupted by some feedback - he still gets feedback. Then he started again, saying that at 80 years of age, he's learned a lot of things - and there was more feedback - but still cannot overcome feedback. At another part of the speech, he said that this was the best 80th birthday party he's ever had. He said his mother had him taking piano lessons, but told him he could quit if he didn't like it. He said he didn't like it, so he quit, but he always had been attracted to comedy. He said he's been entertaining people since he was 18 months old. Then he said someone asked him, "What took you so long?" Anyway, he started paying attention to Spike Jones, made up skits about Spike Jones' skits, and things regressed from there. Anyway, it was a half-day well spent during the Great Isolation.


July 16, 20/20

I made a shopping list, taking great care to put the items in order of where they would be in the store, then I drove to Sams Club. Once I got into the store, I realized that nothing was in the same place. They had redesigned the placement of the merchandise. Everything from the front had moved to the rear, and much of what was on the left had gone to the right. I nearly had to work the list in reverse!

Today I had to make a modification to my Netbook Table, since it was sliding down onto my lap. I made a template fo the wee feet under the computer, then marked the table. I took my Dremel tool and ground a couple of small cups with a ball-stone to bive the front feet a place to rest, then put in a milling bit to plow two furrows for the back feet. Dad would have done a much more masterful job, but I do what I can.

July 15, 20/20

We paid a visit to our Chiropractor, this morning, but no longer for my shoulder. This was a routine visit for an adjustment. He paid some much needed attention to my lumbar region, then checked the rest of my spine, not making any gross adjustments along the way. Even my neck had maintained alignment since the last adjustment. It was pretty much the same with Becky, not needing anything other than a gentle motion of the upper spine.

Then we returned home and I finished the laundry I had started before our departure.

The Great Isolation makes for great reading, doesn't it.

July 14, 20/20

I unwrapped the skinny foam, this morning, cut nine 20mm sections with a bit extra remaining, ripped the copious amounts of fake wool stuffing out of my arm of the chair and with great difficulty inserted put those nine layers of foam into the arm. Fortunately for me, the arm was zippered, so I didn't have to split or re-sew any seams. It now holds my Remote Controllers caddy, which has 3 remote-sized pockets, two Kindle-sized pockets and one tablet-sized pocket, plus a tray on top in which I could foolishly place a full cup of coffee without it spilling immediately ("I am not a great fool, so I clearly cannot [place my cup] in front of me!" - Vazzini, The Princess Bride). Instead, I do trust a ramekin half-filled with nuts or dried fruit to remain relatively still. As it turns out, though it still is not out of Becky's reach.

Then in the afternoon, I went to the hardware store and purchased a can of Elmer's Spray Adhesive. No, I didn't rip the foam from the arm, spray each foam layer and reinsert them and glue them in place. Even I know I had no chance in completing that task. No, I had one panel of foam left over, which I cut to size, cut the tail out of a defunct T-Shirt, sprayed adhesive on the fabric, stuck some foam to, wrapped it up (gluing it as I went), then stuck it to the back of my lap table so that my knees would not be sore after half an hour of computing. I had to repeat the process with a smaller board so I could use my Toshiba NetBook without its footprints in my knees, too. Now I just need to make a lip at the near edge of the smaller lap table so the NetBook doesn't slide off of it when I have it at an angle.

July 13, 20/20

Friday the 13th came on a Monday this month!

The foam I had ordered arrived today. It had been predicted to arrive between the 25th and 29th. Then, too, it had been listed as 2" x 24" x 72". It turned out to be 1cm thick, not 2"! Thus, Instead of having enough foam to rebuild both arms, I had only enough for one, but since I had other things to do today, I left it for tomorrow.

I spent the afternoon working with my computer and Facebook Live, seeing what combination of processes would yield a successful launch the first time. I thought I had found the secret, but I was wrong. When it came time (8pm) to go live with the Ancient Order of Compline (Bill & Becky, Officiants), I typed in the title and subtitle, selected the corect microphone to use and clicked on Go Live, and found Unable to Start Live. Which meant I needed to repeat the process before the session was live. But, once online, I was assured that it was working correctly instead of making me sound like a squeeky mouse, and so we proceeded with the Order and didn't make any mistakes gross enough to stop the world from turning.

July 12, 20/20

This morning's Church service was a little bitter-sweet. Our Interim Priest, or Liturgical Disruptor as he termed his position, will be leaving us after next Sunday. While we are excited to be getting a new priest, Mother Milly, we will be sorry that Fr. Gary will not be with us any longer. There are two Sundays between Gary's last and Milly's first, which will be conducted by supply priests, which can also be exciting. I liken it to a sip of wine between courses of a meal to clear the palate. I've heard recordings of Milly's sermons, and in each one, she brings a fresh look at the scriptures, a view that I had never thought of before. Now, of course, I'm eager to hear her preaching in our own church.

Gary's sermon, today, brought a fresh look on the Parable of the Sowers. He said that it is more usually seen as the parable of the different fields. But the parable, as billed in scriptures as "...of the Sowers," might lead one to think of it as the sowers scattering their seed without concern for which soil it was falling onto. Were they wasting seed? Were they giving each variety of soil to yield whatever yield it could? Were they indiscriminate, or were they just so joyful that they wanted everyone to receive the good seed? He didn't answer his questions, just gave them to us to process as only we could.

July 11, 20/20

Saturday started out like any normal day, a bit cool in the morning, with bright blue sky. It stayed that way until about 3pm, when the temperature rose to about 84 degrees, and somehow stayed about there. There wasn't much humidity, so there was no reason to complain.

I spent a few minutes (more like an hour) working with my computer, trying to find out how was the best way to get onto Facebook Live. After 8 attempts, I finally had a decent picture *and* sound, three times in a row. I alwo got the backdrop to look right, so the next time we use it (Monday) to officiate Compline, it will likely work well. That's my hope, anyway.

July 10, 20/20

We had a terrific rain storm this afternoon, with just a little bit of distant thunder. I only saw one flash of lightning, and the thunder was maybe five seconds after, so not very close.

I spent a few minutes on line to reset the PIN number of our prepaid MasterCard (our tax refund came on it), which was done successfully.

Other than that little bit of excitement, nothing much happened today.

July 09, 20/20

Becky went to get her annual mamogram (Ultrasound), and was given a clean bill of health once again.

On the way home, we stopped to get the car washed again, since the trees are still polinating. Anytime I have to run the wipers to wash off the green-stuff, I go to get it washed. That way, it remains a clean, green driving machine!

We had a good bit of rain again today. There was some distant thunder, but no lightning could be seen, so we were in no danger.

July 08, 20/20

I had my last visit with Dr. Reilly in connection with my left shoulder. He declared that my shoulder has been, officially, "fixed". I agree. It is pain free irrespective of how I move it. This evening, I even lifted my seven pound Toshiba Netbook with my left hand, at arms length, palm up, and I felt no discomfort of weakness in the shoulder. In the beginning of this round of therapy, a) I could not have lifted it at all in that manner, b) had I attempted to lift it, my shoulder would have felt a painful stabbing pain that would have continued for five-to-ten minutes thereafter. The test was completed successfully!

July 07, 20/20

Becky had an appointment to get her allergy shots today, and on the way home, I had a "Check Engine" light. After lunch, I went to the Toyota shop to have them check things over. Since I also had an alarm yesterday, "Low T-Battery" (the Traction Battery of the Hybrid system), I had them check that while they were at it. There is nothing wrong with the (expensive) T-Battery, so all of the expense was the engine (leaking valve cover gasket), and the brakes (rear were very thin, so they were replaced). Yup, it's an old car, and if I treat it right, it will get even older.

This evening, I ordered some high density, firm upholstery foam so I can finish the modification of the arms of our reclining loveseat. It's a sheet of 1" x 24" x 72" foam, which should be enough for six layers on each arm. This will eliminate the overstuffed arms that robs us of about eight inches of seat width! Whoever thought that was a neat feature should be punished! The foam will be here by the end of the month. I hope I remember what I was going to do with it by the time it arrives.

July 06, 20/20

This morning, I had another Trigenics session with Dr. Reilly. My left shoulder has improved remarkably under his care, and I have just one more session before he sets me free from this injury's treatment.

This evening, Becky and I officiated Compline for the first time. Murphy's Law was in full effect. I had tested my camera and microphone using Jitsi, but when it came time to try it on Facebook Live, the screen was violet! So I tried it on Becky's computer, and it was clear, so we thought we would use hers. That was about an hour before time to start the Office. I came back to my computer to see if I could find out what, if anything, I could do about the monochromatic screen. After rebooting, it looked normal, so we thought we would use my computer. Then when it came time to start the Office, I clicked Go Live, and my computer thumbed its nose at us. "Cannot start live video," it said. So we decided to use Becky's computer. Naturally, my prayer that I had typed up and the church's prayer list that I had transcribed were both on MY computer, so I had to omit them. I tried to wing the prayer, but drew a blank on one of the easier words and was very embarrassed. At the end, I blamed my poor preparation on the last-minute change of computers, and signed off. ACK!!!!

July 05, 20/20

This morning, instead of Elise (our Director of Music's wife) being Cantor, it was Cristen (one of our other Choristers). Also, our regular organist, Kathy, played, whereas our Director of Music has been playing in her stead. Other than that, it was worship-as-usual, and there's nothing wrong with that.

We watched Independence Day: Resurgence, which I had seen once before, and I found it quite stupid, like most sequels I've seen. It's the same story line, with different characters (for the most part), with the same outcome. I was very sorry we had watched it. We deleted it from our DVR.

July 04, 20/20

Happy Independence Day!

Though the Cities, for the most part, have cancelled their sponsored fireworks displays for this year, the neighbors have not. The television news has broadcast that any fireworks that explode or leave the ground are strictly forbidden, there are not enough police in the whole world to stop the fireworks I can see from my front steps! We hear them, we see them, and we hear police sirens in the distance. So far, though, we aren't hearing fire truck sirens. 

While I was out videoing some of the 'sposions, i was also treated to the occasional flash of fireflies in our yard. They weren't as plentiful as I remember them in my school days, but they were there to be seen, putting on their little light shows as they flitter about.

Meanwhile, we're listening to Classical Minnesota Public Radio as they broadcast some soothing arrangements of patriotic music.

July 03, 20/20

I started the day at 7:30, and almost immediately took a nap for 90 minutes. Then after half an hour, I realized that the lawn needed to be mown again. The Virginia Creepers were creeping up to the sky. I dressed in my mowing togs, backed the cars out of the way and set about mowing operations.20 minutes later, I realized I wasn't wearing my hat, so as not to burn my scalp, I got my hat in place and resumed mowing. Before I was halfway done with the slopes, I was dripping with sweat, but I managed to finish the slopes before taking a water break. At one point, I had squatted down to pick up a twig from the ground, and was afraid I wouldn't be able to stand up again. Of course, I could have shut the mower done, gotten onto all fours, walked my hands to my feet and then stood up, like they taught me in Yoga class, a few years ago, but then I'd have to start the engine again, so I geve it a Herculian effort and rose to the occasion, thus earning my water.

After a 10 minute rest and replenishment of moisture, I mowed the flat part of the front lawn, then called it done, for now. I'll mow the back yard tomorrow, with any luck at all.

Suzanne remains in the hospital. She is in isolation due to MRSA, and is on anti-biotics and strict bed rest. She has to ring for assistance before going to the bathroom, even. The bad part is that they have rescinded the surgeon's orders for pain medication. 

July 02, 20/20

Today we had a late awakening - 10am! I cannot remember the last time I had slept a full 8 hours, but having gotten into bed about 2am, that's exactly what happened. I got out of bed, found that my back wasn't as sore as I thought it would be after that long on the bed. The first thing I did was to exercise my shoulders, as prescribed as part of my therapy, and when that was done, I had almost no soreness left, but just a little in the lumbar region.

We didn't do much in the first half of the day, mostly because of our lie-in, but more because there was so little to be done. Then we got a call from Suzanne. She's still in the hospital after having an abscess opened, drained and packed with gauze. Her surgeon, having flown to Florida immediately after opening her up, was supposed to have left orders to admit her for a few days. The doctor who was left in charge, though, informed her that she was going home today.

The last time she had an abscess of this kind, she wound up staying in our house for a while until her abdomin had sealed itself. So, we got proactive and stripped the old, decrepit sheets off our guest beds, laundred the new sheets, tightened up the bolts on the headboard of the one that squeeked so badly (three of the four being not only loose, but the nuts were at least 1/4 inch from tight!) so that the headboard cannot possibly squeek, now. Then, after getting the beds back together and the new sheets on, I was dripping with sweat, so I decided it was time to stop. That's about when I realized that the last time Suzanne had this kind of problem, she was at Mission Hospital, 5 miles from out house (25 miles from her own house), so it made sense that she would stay as close to the hospital as possible. Now, though, she's in a hospital in Hendersonville, which is about 20 miles from our house (45 miles from hers), so while we would still be much closer should something untoward happen, but it would still be a considerable distance and if she has an alien suddenly erupting from her belly, we would all be eaten before we got to the city limit! 

At any rate, Suzanne called her surgeon's office, and she was told that she was not going home today, so she's still there. However, in apparent retribution for her having gone over the attending physician's amendment of the surgeon's orders, he has cancelled the pain medication that was keeping the pain at bay. Does he think she will not file a complaint with the hospital?

July 01, 20/20

Happy July Fools Day!

Suzanne was taken to the hospital, this morning, for a hernia repair. There was no hernia, but instead it was an abscess the size of a football just below her ribs. She had been scheduled for surgery on July 9th, but when the doctors saw the size of it, they decided to save her life and operate today, instead. The abscess was drained and the cavity packed with gauze, and she was pumped full of antibiotics and pain killers. We expect she will be there a few days.

I had my 4th treatment on my shoulder this morning, and I have to say it feels like a new shoulder. He did Graston on it again today, not nearly as extensive as the last time, and when he finished, it felt free-moving and painless. I still have two more visits to go, and I already feel like he's worked miracles with me, yet again!

This afternoon, I walked out to get the mail, and I noticed a cute little brown lizard beside my car. it was a little thicker in the body than my thumb and about four inches long with a three inch tail. Naturally, he scooted away pretty quickly before I even had a chance to ask who he was. After I got the mail and was climbing back up to the house, I told him I was going back home, now, and he he could run around in the yard without interferance.